These vegetable latkes are not your traditional latkes, they are made with shredded potatoes and a mixture of carrots, zucchini, and peppers, PLUS cooked in a waffle iron so you don't have to fry them!
Waffle and vegetable latkes
What is served with latkes is entirely up to you, my favorite is with sour cream, salmon, capers and red onions or just with applesauce as a side dish.
Using a waffle iron to make latkes is a turning point. The edges will be crispy and since you won't be frying them all you need to do is sprinkle the waffle iron with oil. I have a simple Cuisinart round waffle iron (affiliate link) that I've used to make everything from waffle crab cakes, grilled cheese, and more! The funny thing is that I never bake waffles in it.
Tips for perfect latkes:
- Chop the vegetables in a box grater and squeeze out the excess liquid with paper towels or a cheesecloth.
- The potatoes turn brown quickly, this is the last vegetable I grate.
- Once you've made the batter, it's best to work quickly as the vegetables will continue to give off liquid if left too long.
- Set your waffle iron on medium-low, let it get hot, sprinkle generously with oil and add just under 2/3 cups of batter. Close tightly for about 5 minutes so that the middle boils.
Which potatoes are best for latkes?
I like to use Russet potatoes, but I also made them with Yukon Gold. You can also use sweet potatoes for a sweeter latkes. These can easily be made gluten-free with a universal gluten-free flour mix.
Veggie latkelles (waffle latkes) with lox
Preparation time: 25th Minutes
Cooking time: 5 Minutes
Total time: 30th Minutes
These vegetable-filled latkes aren't your traditional latkes, made from grated potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and peppers, and cooked in a waffle iron so you don't have to fry them! Top them with sour cream, salmon, and capers, or with applesauce on the side.
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (6 oz)
- 1 large 8 ounce zucchini, shredded
- 1 Red pepper, shredded
- 1 medium onion, shredded
- 2 large rust-red potatoes, scrubbed and crushed (16 oz)
- 1/4 Cup Matzo meal, or all-purpose flour (wheat or GF)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Big eggs, beaten
- Cooking spray
- Apple sauce
- Nova Lox or smoked salmon
- light sour cream
- chopped dill
- sliced red onion
- Capers, drained
Grate all the vegetables with a box grater and save the potatoes for the end so they don't turn brown.
Squeeze out the excess liquid well with a cheesecloth or towels.
Stir in matzo flour or flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add the eggs and mix well.
Spray the waffle iron and heat over medium to low heat.
Place just under 2/3 cup in the center of the waffle iron and close it, simmer for 5 minutes, until it is browned and crispy around the edges and cooked through in the center.
Set aside and repeat with the remaining mixture.
(embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZTr-Fw-jjo (/ embed)
Portion: 2latkes, Calories: 205kcal, Carbohydrates: 35G, Protein: 9G, Fat: 4thG, Saturated fatty acids: 1.5G, Cholesterol: 139.5mg, Sodium: 575.5mg, Fiber: 6thG, Sugar: 6thG
Blue Smart Points: 3
Green Smart Points: 5
Purple Smart Points: 1
Points +: 5
Keywords: Latkes, vegetable latkes, vegetable pancakes, waffle iron recipes