The ketogenic diet is a major breakthrough in epilepsy treatment. Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has frequent seizures. It can affect people of all ages. It is a chronic condition that can be reversed within a few years by taking anti-epileptic drugs and a ketogenic diet. Certain people may need to take anti-epileptic drugs for life. Surgery is recommended for extreme cases, although most cases can be managed well with medication and ketogenic diets. This Indian Epilepsy Diet Plan is a high fat ketogenic diet table for epilepsy seizures that will serve as a practical guide.
Everything about epilepsy
Before we move on to the Indian Epilepsy Diet Plan (High Fat Ketogenic Diet Table For Seizures In Epilepsy), let's first understand the basics of epilepsy.
What is epilepsy
More than 1 seizure without a trigger in at least 24 hours is diagnosed as epilepsy.
Symptoms of Epilepsy:
- Constantly stare.
- Muscle stiffness.
- Uncontrolled jerky movements of the limbs.
- Temporary confusion.
- Unconsciously about the environment for a short period of time.
- Loss of consciousness as well
- Clusters of fear, fear and the Dejavu effect.
Causes of Epilepsy:
- Age: It is very common in children, but it can appear at any age.
- Family history: Some types of seizures run in families. It takes certain environmental triggers for genes to trigger epileptic episodes.
- Prenatal Injury: Some prenatal injuries to the fetal brain due to maternal infection, nutritional deficiencies, and a lack of oxygen.
- Developmental Disorders: Autism can cause epileptic episodes.
- Head injury: Any history of accident or traumatic injury can cause epilepsy.
- Infections: Serious viral infections, meningitis, HIV, and some parasitic infections can cause epilepsy.
- Brain abnormalities: Anomalies such as cancer, tumor and stroke can cause epilepsy.
Treatment of epilepsy:
- Medication: Either anticonvulsant or anti-epileptic drugs are used.
- To starve: Starving yourself helps keep epilepsy episodes under control. During fasting, the body breaks down fats to produce ketones for fuel. These ketones help to reduce the epileptic episodes. This is how a ketogenic diet was introduced in the first place. The ketogenic diet is high in fats, moderate in protein and very low in carbohydrates.
- Ketogenic Diet Plan For Beginners.
(embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Ob2ZsaTc4 (/ embed)
High fat ketogenic diet table for epilepsy seizures
The ketogenic diet consists of high-fat, moderate protein and a low carbohydrate content. It has a limited amount of calories as well as fluid. The diet is designed to urge the body to use fats as a source of energy. When fat is broken down, it produces ketone bodies. These ketones are used as fuel.
The ratio of fat to protein plus carbohydrate must be 4: 1. The calories from fats are four times the calories from proteins and carbohydrates combined. The fluid intake depends on the fluid output of the child or an adult.
How do I start the ketogenic diet?
You can't just start on a ketogenic diet. You must follow a specific protocol for a ketogenic diet. This process can take a few days. A person must usually fast day and night before starting the diet. This serves to gradually adjust our body to the drastic change in diet. The person may feel tired or weak for the first few days.
Children are usually hospitalized for this process to be kept under surveillance. You need constant monitoring by doctors, dietitians, and other assistants in order to maintain a ketogenic diet. If the diet is successful in reducing seizures, the child may be weaned from the ketogenic diet to a normal diet within 2 or 3 years.
Disadvantages of the ketogenic diet:
- High fat has a palatability issue.
- The preparation of a ketogenic diet is not a hassle. You need suitable utensils, skill in measuring the food eaten and art in cooking to increase the palatability of the food.
- A high percentage of fat can not only lead to diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, but also vomiting.
- Increases total cholesterol in the blood over the long term.
- Slower growth rate compared to normal children.
- Certain nutritional deficiencies.
- All about the keto flu.
- 10 signs of ketosis.
- keto diet plan for beginners.
Indian Epilepsy Diet Plan (High Fat Ketogenic Diet Table For Seizures In Epilepsy)
List of allowed foods
The ketogenic diet is a very strict diet. Limited foods that are allowed. Each ingredient including salt is measured before use. List of ketogenic diet foods.
- Fats: Only medium chain triglycerides are allowed. Add coconut oil, MCT oil (liquid or powder), and ghee.
- Carbohydrates: A limited amount of fruits and vegetables are included in the list. Carbohydrates in vegetables are also taken into account and calculated. Only 5 to 10 grams of total carbohydrates are recommended. The child can consume any vegetable or fruit that is within the allowable carbohydrate range. Grains and legumes are completely avoided in the initial phase of the diet.
- Proteins: Top quality protein along with vegetable proteins are necessary for the child's growth and development. For an adult, it is needed for the maintenance and repair of the body's cells. Add the cream, paneer, cheese, mushrooms, chicken, egg and fish.
- Vitamins and Minerals: The ketogenic diet limits the intake of fruits and vegetables. Therefore, the micronutrients should be supplied through dietary supplements. Check calcium, Vit D, Vit A and Vit C.
Follow-ups during the high fat ketogenic diet table for seizures in epilepsy
The patient must be in constant contact with the doctor and the nutritionist. Regular visits to the doctor every 3 months are a must. Keep a journal to record food ingested, number of seizures, and any other abnormalities observed. Care must be taken to ensure that the child or person does not slip into acidosis or coma. The diet can result in a person's weight loss along with high lipoprotein levels as well as high total cholesterol. Check the biochemical parameters regularly as directed by the doctor.
Indian diet plan for epilepsy
Here is a sample diet of the Indian Epilepsy Diet Plan. It provides 900 kcal. There are three diet plans with a 4: 1 ratio – fats to carbohydrates plus proteins.
- Fats – 80 grams
- protein – 35 grams
- carbohydrates – 10 grams
Breakfast: Paneer Tikka with cream dressing.
Having lunch: 2 half – devilled egg with avocado and mushroom filling.
Dinner: Zoodles / cauli rice with chicken broth.
If you are looking for vegetarian keto recipe options, please see:
The ketogenic diet is a modified clinical diet. The ketones released by this diet help control the number of seizures. It is a complicated diet that must be strictly followed under the supervision of a certified professional. The diet lasts for 2 to 3 weeks to show any effect on the seizures. Hope this Indian Epilepsy Diet Plan (High Fat Ketogenic Diet Table For Epilepsy Seizures) will help you lay your foundation for it. For a personalized keto diet plan, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.